If you have an eCommerce store on Shopify, you know how much of a pain inventory management can be. It’s time consuming, tedious, and boring. In fact, I’d rather bash my face off a wall than spend months entering inventory data to my store, but maybe that’s just me.
Let me ask you something – What could you do if you never had to worry about managing inventory data again? How much time would that free up?
What if I told you there’s a way to automate it?
Automated Inventory Management Systems Exist
And they make life oh so much easier. Just give one your data feed (ask your supplier about a data feed if they didn’t already give one to you), press a button and watch as the product listings are automatically created on your Shopify store. It’s a wonderful feeling, not having to worry about updating data anymore.
What is an automated inventory management system?
An automated inventory management system (IMS) is a program that adds, edits, deletes, and transfers your product data for you. It allows you to pull product data from your suppliers website using a data feed, normally in the form of an XML or CSV file (although it may come in other file types), and push that data to your website.
It looks like this:
Your supplier sends their inventory data to your automated IMS where you can edit your data before uploading it to your webstore.
Why use an automated inventory management system?
No more mind-numbing data entry! Beyond that, you’ll also get the following benefits:
- High quality product images: These are super important. Amazing product photography sells. In fact, it’s probably the #1 thing to work on first if you want to see an increase in sales.
- Save time: Now you can spend less time on awful data entry, and more time marketing and growing your store.
- Reduce canceled orders: With manual inventory management, you have to keep track of your own inventory. Worse, you may have to keep track of your suppliers inventory. If they go out of stock and you get an order, you may have to backorder or even cancel the order. With an automated inventory management system, no more manually updating inventory quantity.
- Increased data accuracy: When you’ve just spend 3 or 4 hours manually typing in product descriptions or copy pasting them, you’re way more prone to make errors like the wrong tag or pasting the wrong product SKU. When the process is automated, that will no longer happen.
- Near-instant product updates: Never have old product data, like pricing or descriptions. As soon as your supplier makes an update to your inventory data, your website will be updated as well.
As you can see, automated inventory management systems are the key to increasing profitability for an eCommerce store.
How do I get an automated inventory management system?
They’re really easy to set up. Affordable, too, compared to the amount of time and money you spend manually updating inventory data and lose on cancelled customer orders.
Try our Shopify inventory management product if you are looking for some options.